Did you ever thing about trying to make gyros at home? Let's start from the pita cause we are still working on that.
There are so many good Greek restaurants in The Netherlands where you can enjoy traditional flavors! The only thing that is missing is the special pita that back in Greece, gyros was wrapped in it! We searched and tried many recipes and found the ultimate recipe for you.
For pitas you will need
1.5 cup flour,
100gr lukewarm water,
1 teaspoon of salt,
1 teaspoon of dry yeast or fresh (you can find at your local supermarket),
2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon baking powder
Making the yummie pitas
1. First step is to add in a bowl the yeast and the water, stir and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to inflate.
2. In a clean bowl, you add flour and salt stir well.
3. To mix the ingredients better, you make a hole in the center of the mixture of flour, and you add the yeast mixture. You should knead until the dough becomes soft and doesn't stick in your hands.
4. After that, divide the dough into 6 balls, cover it with a towel and let it rise for 1h or 1.5h.
After some extra test batches we did, we recommend splitting the dough into 4 parts if you want pitas more like the size of the ones you can find back in Greece. Also we realized that different kind of flour rises differently and on different times. We need to fly in Yaya to give us some tips.
5. When the dough is ready, roll out each ball of the dough with your fingers. The thickness should be about 0.5cm-0.7cm.
6. Take a fork and make some holes (not too deep) into the surface.
7. Brush each pita with olive oil and fry them in a nonstick pan or bake in oven or grill.
8. You can make extra and keep them at the freezer. When you want one, you should fry them at the pan and eat them (5 minutes preparation).
Enjoy and send us pictures of your pitas!
Photos by: koadmunkee, grongar, stu_spivack